- Recent research by the DDI found that only 18 % of organisations use the information at hand to predict talent gaps in advance. Ultimately missing out on the opportunity to utilise talent to meet organisational goals.
- Effective talent management has the potential to increase financial performance but why are we seeing organisation’s who don’t look to the future when they are recruiting?
- So how can you ensure that you don’t simply react but that you are prepared for what the future may bring?
When looking at the reasons for restructuring we couldn’t help but notice that in most instances it appeared that past recruitment had been done for the here and now. This is easily done and when the pressure is on to deliver no one can be blamed for overlooking the future needs for the organisation.
Here are some top tips so that will allow you to get ahead of the game:
· Forecast – Know what skills you need and when you are going to need them. You might not need a Personal Assistant now but what about in 12 months time? You will need to look at your growth potential and consider retirements and existing talent.
· Train your future managers - Enhance and widen skillsets of super star staff so that they are ready when the next promotional opportunity arises. See it as an investment!
· Don’t be afraid to be creative – time and again we hear that organisations experience difficulty in filling their mid to senior level roles. Have you considered creating your own talent pipeline? Creating entry level roles and focussing on attitude rather than skills can help you get the right people in, who will learn how to do the job that you need!
· Realise the benefits of secondments – Is there somebody already in the organisation that can do the job that you need? Secondments are a great way to encourage personal development and fill temporary requirements.
· Recruit for engagement – your employees will be the ones to drive future success so ensure that the people coming in have the right attitude and approach to reflect the ethos and values of your organisation.
It can be easy to react to issues when they arise and we are all guilty of this to some extent but taking some simple steps to anticipate what they future may hold will impact on the longevity of your organisation. This is likely to bring financial benefits but more importantly will allow you to focus on your organisational goals.
Find out more about what we think at Real People by calling our helpline on 020 7710 0626 or emailing email@example.com