Karen Austin, Consultant
My Facebook newsfeed is filling up nicely with the promises that my friends and family are making for 2015. With resolutions such as: ‘To drink less wine’ (presumably starting after tonight!), ‘to be happy’, and one random but yet quite specific one from my cousin… ‘to go to Tuscany with Javier Bardem’! But of course, this is an HR blog and, although I admire my cousin’s imagination, and certainly wouldn’t turn down a trip to Italy, I guess you may find it more useful for some inspirational HR related resolutions?
Aside from this, our top 5 watch areas for 2015 are:
- Delegate more often. Effective delegation does not only give you time but also communicates your trust in staff, supports succession planning and increases employee engagement.
- Embrace IT and take social media seriously. More employers than ever are recruiting via LinkedIn and other networking avenues. However, be sure to test applicants rigorously, no matter how many online testimonials they have or the number of connections you share.
- Review your policies and provisions for Parents. 2015 changes will affect Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Parental Leave.
- Review your managing absence procedures to consider whether you could take advantage of the Government’s planned Fit for Work scheme.
- Prepare and budget for a review of relevant pay rates to ensure that you incorporate the 2015 minimum wage increase and diarise to update your standard terms and conditions to reflect the change.